TUESDAY, AUGUST 8, 2017 PRIMARY ELECTION (if needed)
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 7, 2017 GENERAL ELECTION
Positions to be elected:
1 - CITY COUNCIL MEMBER AT LARGE -– 4-Year Term
CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT MEMBER:
DISTRICT 1 -- 4-Year Term
DISTRICT 2 -- 2-Year Term (Unexpired Term ending November 17, 2019)
DISTRICT 4 – 4-Year Term
2 - LIBRARY BOARD MEMBERS -– 6-Year Terms
The filing deadline for all candidates is Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. The withdrawal deadline is Friday, April 28, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. At that time, we will prepare the list of candidates and addresses.
Filing Requirements (for all candidates) - set by the City Charter (Chapters 7.2 and 9.8) and are as follows:
1) Be a registered elector in the City of Rochester Hills.
2) Have residency of one (1) year prior to filing deadline.
3) District candidates must reside within the district.
4) A candidate for Council shall not be in default of payment of any tax, assessment or obligation owed to the City.
Each set of petitions for candidates includes:
1) 6 petition sheets. These will contain enough space for 75 signatures. The heading for petitions must be completed prior to circulation (Instructions to circulators are on the back of petition sheets.) More petition sheets will be provided for Library Board candidates, if requested.
2) 1 Affidavit of Identity (form is in triplicate). This must be completed, signed, and notarized. The Clerks Office can notarize the candidate’s signature if the candidate delivers the petitions in person. A copy of the Affidavit of Identity serves as the candidate’s receipt for Nominating Petitions.
A candidate who wishes to withdraw must submit their request in writing and must be received in the Clerk’s Office no later that 4:00 p.m. on Friday, April 28, 2017. If there are “not more than twice the number of candidates for each office to be filled as there are persons to be elected, the Primary Election shall not be held” (per Charter, Chapter 9.9).
Nominating petitions and affidavits are available at the Clerk’s Office. The City Clerk’s Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., 1000 Rochester Hills Drive, Rochester Hills, Michigan 48309, 248-656-4630.
CAMPAIGN FINANCE INFORMATION:
Campaign finance is under the jurisdiction of the County Clerk. Candidates should check with the County Clerk regarding Campaign Finance, Act P.A. 338 of 1976 as soon as nominating petitions are filed. County Clerk's Phone Number: 248.858.0564.