The Museum Grounds
The Van Hoosen Farmhouse
The 1850 Red House
The 1848 Stoney Creek Schoolhouse
The Van Hoosen Farm
The Dairy Barn
The Milk House
The Calf Barn
The Bull Barn
The Big Barn
The Equipment Barn
The Chicken Coops
Foundation Area East of the Concrete Silo
Construction Dates of City Structures
Museum Site and Its History
Other names for the Van Hoosen Farm have included: Stonyhurst and Springbrook.
Cows were milked three to four times per day. John Barker, a former worker, mentioned that he milked at 2:00 a.m. and the milk was prepared and shipped to market that day.
The Van Hoosen Farm produced Vitamin B milk. Cows were fed grain that contained Vitamin B, with this vitamin transferring to the milk.
The Van Hoosen Farm sold Certified Milk, meaning that it had to be produced, pasteurized, and distributed by the same farm. The milk was sold to 25 dairies in the Detroit area before Grade A milk was established.
Dr. Sarah Van Hoosen Jones was named a ‘Master Farmer’ in 1933, the first woman in Michigan and one of the first in the country to receive this award.
Dr. Sarah Van Hoosen Jones was a Michigan Premier Breeder for 9 years, 7 years in succession.
During the county fair season in late summer, Dr. Jones would rent a train boxcar for two months and showcase her cattle in the Michigan County Fairs, and then head to the Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin State Fairs.
The most prestigious dairy show was in Waterloo, Iowa – The Dairy Cattle Congress. In 1942, Morris Place (Farm Manager) took 12 animals. All but one placed in the top 10 in their class, and the Van Hoosen Farm won the top prize for animals bred-born-raised-exhibited by one farm. The Van Hoosen farm competed against herds owned and sponsored by Carnation, Pabst, and Maytag.
World War II had a significant impact on agriculture in Michigan. From 1939 to 1943, the peak years of the Van Hoosen Farm, the price of agricultural commodities rose three to four times the cost of manufactured items. However, many of the GIs who came home to farms in Michigan were no longer content within the narrow and often-stifling confines of rural life. After a few months or years, many of these young men departed with their young wives and children for the cities or new suburbs.
Powered by CivicPlus
1000 Rochester Hills Dr. | Rochester Hills, MI 48309 | Ph: 248.656.4600