Click to Home
Go To Search
The Dairy Barn
Briggs Assembler

The 1927 Van Hoosen Dairy Barn is the largest and most important building remaining on the Van Hoosen Farm. Built by Dr. Sarah Van Hoosen Jones in 1927, it received an addition to the north in 1930. The building housed Dr. Jones’ entire dairy processing operation. This included milking, bottling, and the making of butter and ice cream.

The Dairy Barn was constructed following the guidelines for building the perfect dairy barn by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Farm Bulletin No. 1342, written in 1923. Among these guidelines include:
  • “Barns should be built with its length extending north and south, so that the interior of the barn will receive the most sunlight.” The 1927 Van Hoosen Dairy Barn lies with this orientation.
  • “Sunlight is considered essential to the health of the dairy cow, and it also tends to destroy disease germs which may be found in dark and dirty stables.” The Dairy Barn has windows surrounding the entire building, letting in large amounts of sunlight.
  • “The system of ventilation…operates on the principle that warm air, being lighter then cold air, tends to rise, while the cold air tends to settle.” The Dairy Barn’s tip in windows and ventilation flues (squares holes in the walls near the floor) allow the cold air blown in to push the warm, methane air out the top of the barn.
  • “For the cow-stable floor concrete has become well established as the best material in alleys, driveways, gutters, and mangers, as it is durable and may be kept clean with the least amount of labor and expense.” The Dairy Barn floors are built of concrete.

Stay Connected