Click to Home
PrintEmail
Go To Search
The 1848 Stoney Creek Schoolhouse
Stone Creek Scool Class

Two years after settling Stoney Creek, the Taylor family established a school in a plank house across the street from the current building. Village residents maintained it themselves as best they could, with work executed mostly in summer, yet the building at times suffered some disrepair. The School Act of 1829 created the Stony Creek School District requiring a district board be organized and that the school be inspected. The earliest archival records for the Stony Creek No.1 Fractional School are dated 1841. The plank schoolhouse burned - presumably in 1847; transcripts of the minutes from the school district of that year show a call for a Village meeting to rent a village room for winter and summer terms while the new school was being built. Transcripts from 1847 also indicate that the district was to give a contract to the lowest bidder to build a “stone school”. The current building, Stony Creek No.1 Fractional was erected and operational in 1848. Fractional meant that two or more bordering townships had joined to form the district – Shelby and Avon Townships.

This building was in use through the 1970s when it eventually became a living history classroom as part of the 1976 Bicentennial celebrated in our community. In 2010, the Museum received this schoolhouse as a gift from the Rochester Community Schools.

Tours are by appointment only. This building is used throughout the school year by area students – please call the Museum if you would like to verify its availability.

Stay Connected
FacebookTwitterRSS